Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
The Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IITR), formerly the University of Roorkee (1948–2001) and the Thomason College of Civil Engineering (1853–1948), is a public university in India. IITR has 21 academic departments covering Engineering, Applied Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences and Management programs with a strong emphasis on scientific and technological education and research. IITR hosts over 7,000 students. The Institute offers Bachelor’s Degree courses in 10 disciplines of engineering and architecture, and Postgraduate’s Degree courses in 55 disciplines of engineering, applied science, architecture, and planning.
IITR has the following Departments and Research Centres:
• Department of Architecture and Planning
• Department of Applied Science and Engineering
• Department of Biotechnology
• Department of Chemical Engineering
• Department of Chemistry
• Department of Civil Engineering
• Department of Computer Science and Engineering
• Department of Earthquake Engineering
• Department of Earth Sciences
• Department of Electrical Engineering
• Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
• Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
• Department of Hydrology
• Department of fManagement Studies
• Department of Mathematics
• Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
• Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
• Department of Paper Technology
• Department of Polymer and Process Engineering
• Department of Physics
• Department of Water Resources Development and Management
• Alternate Hydro Energy Centre
• Centre of Nanotechnology
• Centre for Transportation Systems (CTRANS)
• Centre of Excellence in Disaster Mitigation & Management (CoEDMM)
• Centre for Himalayan Studies
• Centre of Excellence in Urban Design and Development
Dr. Sandeep Agrawal, Professor in the Dept. of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences and Inaugural Director of the Urban and Regional Planning Program, received his BArch from IITR in 1991.
Dr. Larry Kostiuk, Professor in the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, was a Visiting Professor at IITR in 2013.
Dr. Abhijit Majti, Assistant Professor in the Dept. of Polymer and Process Engineering at IITR, was a Post-doctoral Fellow at UAlberta from 2011-2014.
Dr. Veeramani Chidambaranathan, Assistant Professor in the Dept. of Chemical Engineering at IITR, received his PhD from UAlberta in 2007.